The POSTECH International Exchange Program will give you the opportunity to study and immerse yourself in the Korean culture and actively participate in research activities under supervision of an advising professor. The POSTECH International Exchange Program is offered for undergraduate/graduate students from partner universities of POSTECH around the world.
○ Types of Program
International exchange students may take courses at POSTECH and transfer credits to their home universities. About 60% of academic courses are taught in English.
Exchange students may participate in the research program supervised by a POSTECH professor. Applicants are required to directly contact an advisor-to-be at POSTECH for admission. Maximum period of research is 12 months, and research participation period will be determined by the exchange student and the POSTECH advising professor.
Course-taking + Research
○ Application Information
• Undergraduate or graduate students nominated by the international office of partner institutions
• CGPA Requirement: ‘B’ or above
• English Proficiency Requirement (for non-native English speakers): TOEFL iBT 79, IELTS 6.0, or above*
* It may be substituted with equivalent proof documents.
Application Period & How to Apply
• Application Period for Fall Entry: March 1 ~ April 1
• Application Period for Spring Entry: September 1 ~ October 1
• Application for research exchange program must be completed 90 days prior to the start date.
• Completed application form must be signed by an exchange coordinator of applicants’ home universities and sent to the inbound coordinator of POSTECH via email.
Required Supporting Documents for Exchange Application
• Academic Transcript in English
• Official Score of English Proficiency (for non-native English speakers only)
• One Recommendation Letter from Home University Supervisor
• Copy of Passport
• Letter of Approval from POSTECH Professor (for research exchange only)
Advising Professor (for research exchange only)
• Research exchange students (Type: C+R & R) are required to contact a POSTECH professor and get approval for research projects before applying. Letter of approval from the advising professor must be attached on the online application form.
※ Click to download the Faculty Directory and Research Profiles
• Fall Entry: by the end of April
• Spring Entry: by the end of October
• Research exchange applicants’ outcomes will be announced within 30 days after submitting online applications.
• Admitted students will receive an application packet including Certificate of Admission, Admission Letter, Certificate of Business Registration, Guidebook for International Exchange Students (by email), and Housing & Health Insurance Information (by email).
○ Academic Information
Academic Calendar (Link)
Course List Offered
1) Go to lms.postech.ac.kr
2) Click on ‘English’
3) Click on ‘Learning Guide’
4) Click on ‘Courses’
Minimum & Maximum Credits
• Minimum: 10 credits/semester
• Standard: 15 credits/semester
• Maximum: 22 credits/semester
Course Registration Period for Exchange Students
• 2018 Fall: September 5-13, 2018
• 2019 Spring: in the mid of January, 2019 (Period to be confirmed)
How to Register Courses
Incoming exchange students will register courses through POVIS (POSTECH Vision Information System) during the course registration period if spaces permit.
Official academic transcripts will be sent to outbound exchange coordinators of partner institutions one month after each semester ends.
※ Undergraduate exchange students may take graduate courses.
※ Graduate exchange students may take undergraduate courses.
※ Subject to completion of pre-requisite courses, exchange students may take cross-faculty courses.
Academic Policy (Undergraduate) (Link)
Academic Policy (Graduate) (Link)
○ Visa Requirement
Once exchange students receive an admission packet, they are required to apply for their visas individually at the nearest Korean Embassy or Consulate in their home countries prior to entering Korea. A student visa (D-2 type) is required to study in Korea for all international exchange students. Please contact the nearest Korean Embassy or consulate to get more details about visa requirement and process.
※ Exchange students are required to obtain a study abroad visa (D-2 type) even though period of stay is less than 90 days. If they are from countries with visa exemption agreement, they might be exempted from applying for the visa. Please contact your nearest Korean Embassy or consulate for more information.
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is to support and assist the international members of the university so that they can achieve their educational as well as personal success in POSTECH. ISSS provides services for arrival, housing, orientation, settlement, visa, and leaving and more. ISSS is always ready to help international members and give them advice whenever they need
※ Link to ISSS web page: ISSS
○ Medical Insurance
All exchange students are required to purchase a health insurance arranged by POSTECH International Relations, and the insurance fee per semester is about KRW 100,000.
On-campus dormitories are guaranteed for all international exchange students, and most international exchange students will be assigned to DICE (Dormitory for International Cultural Exchange).
International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will host an orientation program a week before each semester begins. Orientation programs will include informative sessions and various cultural activities including campus/city tours and more.
Mr. Kiljong Yoo
Inbound Program Coordinator
POSTECH International Relations
○ Reference Materials