Alien Registration Card / Health Examination

All foreigners staying in Korea for longer than 90 days are required to register and obtain an Alien Registration Card within 90 days of their arrival in Korea. You will need to visit the Immigration Office to complete your registration. Note that the Alien Registration Card usually takes about 2-3 weeks to be issued. For students, you must submit a copy of your Alien Registration Card to the ISSS, International Relations once it has been issued. For researchers and faculties, you will be provided with a national health insurance card upon submitting a copy to your individual Department office.

To apply for an Alien Registration Card, please take the following documents to the local immigration office:

    • – Completed Application Form (download at   >   QUICK MENU   >   FORM)
    • – Passport (Original & Copy, including the visa page)
    • – A passport photo (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm taken against white background; taken within 6 months of time frame)
    • – Certificate of Enrollment (for students) or Employment (for scholars/researchers)
    • – A copy of the business registration (Also known as university registration certification, this document is provided for you in order to fill in the “registration number” on the application form. Note: the registration number for POSTECH is 506-82-02384.)
    • – Fee of 30,000 KRW in Cash
    • – Proof of residency

For more information, please visit: (Immigration   >   Foreigner sojourn   >   Foreigner Registration)


Pohang Immigration Branch Office

Address: 135 Woochangdong-Ro, Buk-Gu, Pohang

Direction: Take bus 105 at POSTECH East Gate or in front of the Biotechnology Center and get off at Chang-po Sa-geori. It is the 4th stop from Yeongildae Beach. It takes about 40 minutes by bus, then you need to walk 600m to get to the office.

Phone: (054) 247-5363 Fax: (054) 247-5352 Hours of Operation: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Services Provided by the Pohang Branch Office:

1) Extending the period of stay to over 90 days after arrival for those with a single entry visa

2) Extending the period of stay for less than 10 days to prepare for departure

3) Extending the period of stay or granting re-entry of registered aliens

4) Granting status of sojourn for those with residence (F-2) status


Reporting Changes in Alien Registration Card

When there are any changes in the followings, the registered foreigners must report to the local immigration office within 14 days of incurring such changes:

  • – Name, sex, date of birth, or nationality
  • – Passport number, date of issuance Date, or expiration date
  • – Address of residence in Korea
  • – Change of university, workplace or details in the organization you are part of (including names changes)

Please not that if the subject fails to report any one of these changes within 14 days, he/she will be considered to be in breach of Immigration Act Article 35, and will be fined accordingly.

Required Documents:

  • – Passport and Alien Registration Card (please take along copies of each as well)
  • – Application Form (Tick the “Changes of information on Alien Registration” box)
  • – Verifiable documents for the respective change

Approval for Extension of Stay

A foreigner staying in Korea and wishing to extend their allowed period of stay must apply for a permit granted by the Ministry of Justice, 2 months prior to the expiration date.


Re-Entry Permit

This applies for the registered foreigners seeking to stay for more than 90 days, who want to depart and re-enter with the permitted period of stay; or for foreigners who were exempted from foreigner registration and intends to leave Korea and enter again.

There are 2 types of re-entry permit:

        • – Single – Good for a single entry, valid for up to one year.
        • – Multiple – Good for multiple entries, valid for up to two years.

Required documents are listed in   >  IMMIGRATION   >   Foreigner sojourn   >  Re-entry


Health Examination

Due to the new policy regulated by the Ministry of Justice, it is mandatory, as of April 1, 2020, that all international students from one of the high-risk countries for tuberculosis take the medical check-up for tuberculosis upon their arrival in Korea prior to applying for the Alien Registration Card. The high-risk countries for tuberculosis are as follows:

– Nepal, East Timor, Laos, Russia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, India, Indonesia, China, Cambodia, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, Pakistan, Philippines, Nigeria, Republic of South Africa, Belarus, Mozambique, Moldova, Azerbaijan, Angola, Ethiopia, Ukraine, Zimbabwe, Kazakhstan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Papua New Guinea, Tajikistan, Peru