Health Insurance

◦ International Exchange Students

All international exchange students must present a proof of valid insurance which is also effective in overseas when they come to Korea. They are required to submit a copy of their insurance certificate or other proof of document to the incoming exchange coordinator at POSTECH by e-mail or post.


◦ International Graduate Students

All international graduate students are required to join or purchase one of the following three insurance plans during their stay at POSTECH:

  1) Health insurance plan of their home country that covers most illnesses or injuries in a foreign land (i.e. Korea). In this case, applicants must submit a document of verification to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) prior to their arrival at POSTECH.

  2) National Health Insurance Service (NHIS). NHIS is a public health insurance service that provides a wide range of coverage for various injuries and illnesses. Starting March 1, 2021, all international students who have stayed or will be staying in Korea for more than 6 months are subject to mandatory (automatic) subscription to NHIS. Students are required to pay approximately KRW 50,000 per month. With NHIS, instead of getting reimbursed afterwards, patients can pay the discounted amount from the start at the medical institutions.

Please note that if your health insurance from home country expires within 1-2 months from your arrival date, you must buy a Korean private health insurance up until your subscription to NHIS.

  3) Korean Private Health Insurance. Students are required to pay approximately 200,000 ~ 250,000 KRW per year. Please note that the Korean Private Health Insurance covers fewer illnesses and injuries than NHIS. Also, unlike NHIS, patients are required to pay the entire amount at the medical institutions, and then get a certain amount of reimbursement by submitting required evidential documents.


◦ Scholars

All scholars must register to the National Health Insurance and National Pension. To proceed, you may need the alien registration number and signed contract provided by the Human Resource Office.

For more information, visit the following websites or call the services: National Health Insurance (English call center Tel. 82-2-390-2000) National Pension Service (International Service Tel. 82-2-2176-8702~07, 8710)